[Cbe-oss-dev] patches for oprofile on PS3?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Sep 2 10:18:33 EST 2008

On 09/01/2008 11:02 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>> opcontrol: line 1342: echo: write error: Function not implemented".
>> On that line it is attempting to write "1" into /dev/oprofile/enable.
> Clarification:  This is specific to use of the following:
>
>    opcontrol --event=SPU_CYCLES:N

Certain SPU profiling features are not supported on PS3. You
can try to search this mail list archive for discussions.
Sorry, I don't know exactly what will and will not work.
Yamamoto-san did the profiling support, so knows it best.

Yamamoto-san, can you please give more details.

> Other events like store_miss or Branch_Commit do apparently make
> measurements as does PPU-side profiling, i.e. they don't trigger the
> error message above upon opcontrol --start.

There is a simple test script in the sources scripts/oprofile-test
that does all the things needed for basic usage, but it seems you
already can do most of what it does.

Here is a link to that script:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git;a=blob;f=scripts/oprofile-test;hb=HEAD