[Cbe-oss-dev] [patch 2/4] MARS: Build file cleanup

Kazunori Asayama asayama at sm.sony.co.jp
Mon Sep 1 14:22:23 EST 2008

Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 08/24/2008 07:28 PM, Kazunori Asayama wrote:
>> Some of these are just indentation changes. Are there any strict rules
>> of indentation of Makefile? Otherwise, I suggest keeping the original one.
>
> These replace tabs with spaces.  I know of no rules.  I'm not sure how safe
> tabs are to use between arguments, nor what kind of processing make does on
> these.  It sounds like it could cause portability problems though.  I know
> tabs in makefile conditionals will not work reliably:
>
> if ABC
> 	"d=not seen!!"
> endif

I can't understand what you're trying to show by this example...

According to the POSIX, shell's default field separators are <space>,
a separator.

> The extra spaces to justify the backslash could cause problems on
> systems with limited command line length.  I think cygwin has a
> very small limit (256 chars?), so I'll remove those.

It looks like cygwin can handle long command lines (at least, 4000+
characters). I think we have no need to worry about that.

--
(ASAYAMA Kazunori
  (asayama at sm.sony.co.jp))