[Cbe-oss-dev] SPE program loading through DMA

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Oct 30 01:47:37 EST 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Andrew Friedley wrote:

> I tried a while ago to do the same thing you're doing -- except I saw a
> similar hang on the PS3.  I never figured out why.
>
> My solution instead was to memory map the SPU's local store and just
> memcpy() the code over before starting the SPU.  My understanding is
> that this won't be as fast as using DMA, but it works.

Note that the proxy DMA facility only works as long as the SPU is executing
code in spe_context_run. You have to start the SPU first in order to
use it. If you do that, you may as well use native MFC DMA to load the code,
but using memcpy may actually be faster in many cases as it avoids page
faults on the MFC.

	Arnd <><