[Cbe-oss-dev] A question for the MARS tutorial example 7.2

Yuji Mano yuji.mano at am.sony.com
Tue Oct 21 03:55:42 EST 2008

XU,HONGSHENG wrote:
>  I am a graduate student working with my advisor to promote the
> use of Linux on PS3 for
> optimization purpose. Now I am reading the help file for the MARS
> projects, however I encounter a problem in understanding the
> tutorial example 7.2.
>     In the host program, on line 42-43, there are two waits for
> the sub-task 2_0 and 2_1 which are initiated by task 1, but in the
> task 1 program, there are the same waits for the sub-task 2_0 and
> 2_1 on line 18-19 . As my understanding, the host program waits
> for task 1 to finalize, and task 1 waits for sub-task 2_0 and 2_1
> to finalize. So it seems that host program does not need to wait
> for sub-task 2_0 and 2_1 to finalize, since it is guaranteed
> through the codes of task 1. I am wondering whether there is any
> specific purpose for doing so here or it is just redundant.

Hi Hongsheng.

Thank you for the feedback.
Just as you mention this is an error in the documentation.
The host program does not schedule sub-tasks 2_0 and 2_1, so it has
not need to wait for their completion.
This has already been fixed with the most recent patch series.
The next documentation release will have this fixed.

Regards,
Yuji