[Cbe-oss-dev] Debian Live for PS3 project dead

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Tue Nov 18 05:27:50 EST 2008

hiya,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:52:41AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> and spufs, cfr. your blog:
>
> http://www.seanius.net/blog/2008/10/spu-support-on-the-ps3-in-debian/
>
> BTW, I think the recommended Debian way to mount spufs is to handle this in
> /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh from the initscripts package. Is that correct?

i'm going back and forth on this.  i brought it up on debian-devel but
nobody seemed interested enough to throw in their opinion.  it could be
that everyone is too caught up in the lenny release and the surrounding
flamewars to take the time :/

i think the biggest drawback to the mountkernfs approach is it would
make it hard to customize stuff like umask/uid/gid... at least without
an /etc/default/spufs.  putting fs mount options in /etc/default
seems a little non-unixy too, but maybe that's okay.

however, putting it in fstab would mean that it would be done by the
installer and not a package, which means for users who have already
installed the system it wouldn't magically start working.

i think i'm siding towards the former currently (mountkernfs), but
i haven't brought the issue up with the maintainers of the respective
package.  they might say "this is too special case for us to support it",
in which case i'll need to decide if having a seperate package to do
this is overkill,  or whether i should just make it part of the installer.

	sean