[Cbe-oss-dev] Debian Live for PS3 project dead

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Mon Nov 17 19:02:42 EST 2008

hi,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:00:11PM +1100, cbe-oss-dev-request at ozlabs.org wrote:
> From: <thegame4121982 at msn.com>
> Subject: [Cbe-oss-dev] Debian Live for PS3 project dead?
>
>     Hi, anyone know if the Debian Live for PS3 project has ceased
>     http://www.keshi.org/moin/PS3/Debian/Live? I know that it is now

i'm not sure that it was ever considered a "project", my impression was more
like it was a proof of concept if anything else.  but yes, there do not
seem to have been updates to that for quite some time.

>     possible to install Debian using the official Debian CD and DVD
>     images for powerpc but it does not work out of the box. Seems like
>     the Debian kernel does not have proper or any support for the PS3
>     at all as you need the vmlinux image from the linux cell addon CD
>     to even start the installation program for Debian to run on the
>     PS3. What needs to be done so that the Debian CD/DVD images for

you need the otheros.bld image file, which is currently not provided on
the installer because it is a major PITA to build/package within the context
of a distro.  i made some notes about it:

	http://www.seanius.net/blog/2008/10/ps3-kboot-for-debian/

i do plan to try and address these issues and make a debian packaged
kboot soon, which can then be put on the installer images giving an "all
in one" installer.

>     powerpc work on the PS3 out of the box. Also is it possible to
>     somehow make custom Debian install CDs from the official images to
>     work out of the box for the PS3? I'm trying to understand what's
>     wrong with the current Debian CD/DVD images that they do not work
>     on the PS3 out of the box. Are these questions more suited for

i imagine the "customization" would be to create the PS3/otheros directory
on the installer and place the otheros.bld file there, though i don't know if
there needs to be a customization to any of the embedded ramdisk files
or if you need to set a specific label on the installer etc.

> From: Bob McGwier
>
> You need the ADD on CD for ALL distributions because you need kboot and you need all of the ps3 auxiliary programs which are not in ANY distro.

ps3-utils/libspe2 are in some of the distros, if that's to what you are
referring.  wrt ps3-utils, an older version exists in ubuntu, and the
latest release is sitting in the "NEW" queue in the debian archives
waiting for approval.  in the meantime they're also available in an unofficial
ps3 debian package archive that i've set up for bleeding edge versions.

with regards to kboot, there is also a kboot package in ubuntu, and i
believe the newest versions of the ubuntu installer do "work out of the
box" in terms of providing an installer that includes the kboot image
file on it.

> If you want to program the cell spe's you need libspe from the Cell SDK from IBM or Barcelona.

or apt-get install libspe2-dev :)

BR
	sean