[Cbe-oss-dev] + spufs-use-the-new-vm_ops-access.patch added to -mm tree

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri May 16 23:14:37 EST 2008

> Great patch, thanks for working on this! It's been a long-running
> bug that we'll be able to close with when this gets in.
>
> The code looks correct, but I think the spelling should be adapted
> so it's named 'spufs_mem_mmap_access' instead of 'spufs_mem_mmep_access'.

My bad, typo ;-) Feel free to fix it up.

> I'm also not entirely sure about the memcpy_{from,to}io, in all other
> places in spufs, we just use plain pointer derefences, which I assume
> is safe on local store (it does not have side-effects), and get_ls
> may return either an ioremapped page or a kernel memory page, depending
> on the state of ctx. Shouldn't matter either way, but the current code
> triggers a sparse warning.

I did that. The reason is that memcpy_to/from_io are guaranteed to work
on non cacheable space (and they will on cacheable space too on
powerpc). Normal memcpy might use cache tricks such as dcbz on the
destination that will blow up if used for non-cacheable memory.

Cheers
Ben.