[Cbe-oss-dev] cannot boot newer kernels on PS3

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Tue May 6 04:26:50 EST 2008

If this is the wrong place for this sort of issue, let me know.

I'm running FC6 on an early 20gb-model PS3 (the 20gb disk was replaced
with a 120gb).  The system works fine; I was even able to compile my own
2.6.21-rc7 kernel from the 20070516 addons CD, using my own fairly
modified kernel config.

Lately I've been trying to build a new kernel.  I've tried using the
source in linux-2.6.24-20080131.tar.bz2 from the 20080201 addons CD as
well as a git pull from earlier today with no luck.  Here's the git tree
I used:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

Using either kernel source, I did the following to try and build/boot a
new kernel with the default config:

make ps3_defconfig
make
make modules_install
cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.24

Then add this to /etc/kboot.conf:

linux24='/boot/vmlinux-2.6.24'

I realize I haven't set up an initrd in the process above, though I've
tried doing so in the same manner I did for the 2.6.21 kernel to no
avail.  The problem doesn't seem to be related to anything initrd.

So, I reboot, kboot comes up, I type 'linux24' and hit enter.  Here's
what I see:

kboot: linux24
get memory ranges:1
Modified cmdline:root=LABEL=/
segment[0].mem:0x17ce000 memsz:5623808
segment[1].mem:0x1d2b000 memsz:16384
segment[2].mem:0x7bff000 memsz:4096
VUART: cleanup.
SYSMGR: cleanp.(close event mask)

Then, nothing happens.  Normally on a working kernel at this point the
screen blanks briefly then a new framebuffer display comes up with two
full sized penguins and 6 little SPE penguins, and the kernel boots as
expected.  I'm seeing no other errors or anything wrong.  I have to
hard-reset the system by holding the power button until the second beep.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?  I feel like I'm missing
something obvious here, as I can't find anyone else reporting a problem
like this specifically on these newer .24/.25 kernels.  Especially since
I can build/boot my own 2.6.21-rc7 kernel just fine.

Thanks,

Andrew