[Cbe-oss-dev] Problem with WPA IE info in gelic driver?

Mikael Djurfeldt mikael at djurfeldt.com
Wed Mar 19 05:47:49 EST 2008

2008/3/18, Masakazu Mokuno <mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp>:
> Please try to specify 'proto=WPA2' in your wpa_supplicant.conf.
>
>  It seemed that your AP advertised both WPA and WPA2 information.  Due to
>  the implementation of the current hypervisor, the gelic driver does not
>  tell the user space that the AP has both capabilities.  According to
>  the log, the WPA2 information was selected to go to Linux by the
>  hypervisor.

It seems like you have correctly nailed down the problem: My access
point advertises that it can handle both TKIP and CCMP.  The
hypervisor then tells the gelic driver that it handles CCMP.  TKIP
thus couldn't work and CCMP didn't work because there may have been
some device using still TKIP => the AP was locked to TKIP as group
cipher.

The problem was resolved by specifying (CCMP, CCMP) for wpa_supplicant
and telling the AP to only support WPA2 and CCMP (= AES).

You have told me that work is under way to make the hypervisor report
multiple ciphers for some firmware version > 2.17.

Now the wireless network for the PS3 on the Linux side works for WPA2
/ CCMP! (Providing Google keywords there ;-)

I used the wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli binaries (which have the ps3
driver) from here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20080201-ADDON/target/

My kernel was Geoff Levands version of 2.6.25-rc4 (at the time) which
I prepared using these instructions:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_ArchPPC_on_a_PS3#Compile_Kernel

My interface got the strange name eth1_rename_ren so made sure that
the following command was executed at startup (how should this be
proerly done?):

  ip link set eth1_rename_ren name eth1

I configured wpa_supplicant by

# addgroup wpa
# mkdir /var/run/wpa_supplicant
# chgrp wpa /var/run/wpa_supplicant

and providing the following /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wpa
ap_scan=1

network={
  ssid="mamaliga"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  proto=WPA2
  pairwise=CCMP
  group=CCMP
  psk="<my network passphrase>"
}

Finally, I added the following section to /etc/network/interfaces:

pre-up ifconfig eth1 up

pre-up ifconfig eth1 down

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid mamaliga
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa-driver ps3