[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC 0/3] powerpc: memory copy routines tweaked for Cell

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jun 19 21:53:16 EST 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Mark Nelson wrote:
> The plan is to use Michael Ellerman's code patching work so that at runtime
> if we're running on a Cell machine the new routines are called but otherwise
> the existing memory copy routines are used.

Have you tried running this code on other platforms to see if it
actually performs worse on any of them? I would guess that the
older code also doesn't work too well on Power 5 and Power 6, so the
cell optimized version could give us a significant advantage as well,
albeit less than another CPU specific version.

	Arnd <><