[Cbe-oss-dev] Making the PS3 bleep

Dan Munckton lists at munckfish.net
Mon Jun 9 05:03:51 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 10:40 -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 06/07/2008 03:01 AM, Dan Munckton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Compiling Ubuntu's 2.6.25 kernel on my PS3 is taking around 2 hrs 20
> > mins :(

In fact this is wrong, it's the worst case time - the ccache cache was
cold. With subsequent runs it does in fact go down to about 1 hr, which
proves the value of ccache.

> I recommend you cross compile on a PC if your build system
> supports it, or build native on an older powermac.

Yeah I am aware that cross compiling would help. I don't have any other
PowerPC hardware to hand.

The Barcelona SDK is available in Ubuntu's repositories but it's out of
date and fails to build the kernel for some reason. I may still update
it but seeing as gcc 4.3 and binutils 2.18 in Intrepid now include Cell
support I felt it may be better to try to get a cross tool chain built
from those sources so I'm test building the kernel with the same
toolchain that Ubuntu's build daemons will be using. I managed to get
binutils 2.18 built for cross compiling but I'm stalled on a gcc compile
problem.

> > Currently I have a script which builds the kernel then runs a WAV alarm
> > sound using aplay. However this needs my TV to stay on and focused on
> > the PS3 so the sound comes through the speakers.
> >
> > Is there a way to make the PS3 'beep' noise from Linux?
>
> No.

Is this because the hypervisor doesn't expose it to Linux or is it
because no driver exists for it yet?