[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3-kernel hang at kexec caused by usb

Stefan Assmann sassmann at suse.de
Wed Jul 23 18:30:26 EST 2008

Hey all,

I'm having troubles to kexec recent kernels on Playstation 3.
After issuing
kexec -l <vmlinux> --initrd=<initrd>
kexec -e
the screen stays black.

I tracked this down in the suse kernel and it seems related to a patch
with the Subject: USB: fix interrupt disabling for HCDs with shared
interrupt handlers.

This patch went mainline with 2.6.26 and the most likely reason why
it has not been discovered yet may be because USB is compiled
as a module in most cases. However the suse config has it compiled
into the kernel and this causes some mischief.

It would be nice if somebody could try this on other distros as well.
I'm attaching an altered ps3_defconfig (from geoffs git) that has
USB compiled in. So all you need to do is compile a recent kernel
(2.6.26) with that config and it should hang right after kexec.

  Stefan

--
Stefan Assmann          | SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Software Engineer       | Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg