[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3 petitboot rc2 release

Stefan Assmann sassmann at suse.de
Thu Jul 3 18:27:48 EST 2008

Hi Geoff,

Geoff Levand schrieb:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Stefan Assmann wrote:
>> Geoff Levand schrieb:
>>> I uploaded a second rc ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.27 today:
>>>
>>>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/
>> Just had a look at your second petitboot rc. Looks good, I have a few
>> patches for petitboot you might want to look at. They are based on
>> petitboot v0.2 from Benjamin and Jeremy, so chances are good they might
>> apply to your version too.
>

> I'll try to merge what I can from your patches into our PS3 set.

Thanks!

>> Will this be consolidated?
>

> We have been working toward that, but I think some cleanup is needed on
> our PS3 patches.  To make things easier, I made a git repository for the
> PS3 + openSUSE patches here:
>
>   http://git.infradead.org/users/geoff/petitboot-patches.git
>
> Before I had just been uploading the OpenWRT patchset to kernel.org,
> which indirectly had the petitboot patches as patches of patches against
> the OpenWRT sources.
>

>> The current petitboot doesn't recognize the openSUSE install CD/DVD
>> because of a path issue in yaboot parser.
>

> OK, can you make an iso image available for me to test with?  Smaller
> is better...

Currently we only suppy full dvd images for ppc, sorry. I'll see what I
can do. This issue has been addressed by patch
petitboot.yaboot-suse.patch in the patches archive I sent earlier. The
yaboot file location is /suseboot/yaboot.cnf on the openSUSE install
media and the relevant entries are:

message=yaboot.txt
image[64bit]=inst64
  label=install
  append="quiet sysrq=1 insmod=sym53c8xx insmod=ipr            "
image[64bit]=inst64
  label=slp
  append="quiet sysrq=1 install=slp           "
image[64bit]=inst64
  label=rescue
  append="quiet sysrq=1 rescue=1              "
[...]

>> Another part I'm not so fond
>> of is that if you have multiple installations the order in which
>> devices are discovered is random.
>

> Do you have any ideas of how you would handle that?

Devices are discovered via udev and udev doesn't guarantee any
particular order, so I reorder them on discovery.

discovered (udev):	reordered:
/dev/ps3da3		/dev/ps3da1
/dev/ps3da1     =>	/dev/ps3da2
/dev/ps3da2		/dev/ps3da3

>> I see the parameter root=/dev/ram0 added to the kernel commandline,
>> what's the reason for that?
>
> I don't know why.
>
> -Geoff

My guess is that this happens because the openSUSE entry has no root=
parameter specified so this one is faked. Why would we do that? Maybe
Jeremy or Ben know more, but in my opinion this should be removed. In
case it's not specified it's simply not specified. This causes delays on
booting as there is no /dev/ram0 and udev waits for it to appear,
ultimately falling back to the real device.

Thanks so far!

  Stefan

--
Stefan Assmann          | SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Software Engineer       | Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg