[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3 petitboot rc2 release

Stefan Assmann sassmann at suse.de
Tue Jul 1 19:29:13 EST 2008

Geoff Levand schrieb:
> Geoff Levand wrote:
>> I uploaded a petitboot build ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.05.bld here:
>>
>>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/
>>
>> I think this is stable enough to call a 'release candidate',
>> but but has not had thorough testing.  Please report any bugs.
>>
>> This release is not for general use.  If you are not comfortable
>> installing and using untested and unsupported software, please
>> do not install it.
>>
>> This version should be a direct replacement for existing kboot
>> installations.  It can read both kboot.conf and yaboot.conf files,
>> and provides all the loader functionality of kboot.  It has both
>> graphical and command line interfaces, and supports remote login
>> through telnet and ssh.  This build starts the graphical interface
>> on the console.
>
> I uploaded a second rc ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.27 today:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/

Just had a look at your second petitboot rc. Looks good, I have a few
patches for petitboot you might want to look at. They are based on
petitboot v0.2 from Benjamin and Jeremy, so chances are good they might
apply to your version too. Will this be consolidated?

The current petitboot doesn't recognize the openSUSE install CD/DVD
because of a path issue in yaboot parser. Another part I'm not so fond
of is that if you have multiple installations the order in which
devices are discovered is random.

I'll send you guys the patches I made for suse later. I sent them to
Jeremy once but maybe they ended up in a long todo list ;-)

I see the parameter root=/dev/ram0 added to the kernel commandline,
what's the reason for that?

> -Geoff

  Stefan

--
Stefan Assmann          | SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Software Engineer       | Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg