[Cbe-oss-dev] Required cycles for an SPE context-switch

csc81 at csc81.de csc81 at csc81.de
Sat Jan 19 03:08:11 EST 2008

Hello all :)

For my diploma thesis I would like to know the average costs of an SPE
context-switch on a PS3 running Fedorra Core 7 Linux (expressed in core
clock frequency cylces or microseconds) in absence of contention and
under load. A rough estimation would be sufficient. The costs should
include the communication over the EIB and the computational costs of
the linux kernel (SPE scheduler and maybe others).

My goal is to create a diagram that shows the percentage which is needed
for context switching on N SPEs depending on different SPE Scheduler
frequencies relative to the available resources on one Cell processor.

I need this information to estimate the overhead of the preemptive
programming model. In particular the worst case is interesting.

Does anyone know a rough value or at least a paper or a documentation
where I can find this information?

Greetings
Carsten