[Cbe-oss-dev] Kernel Install warnings

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sat Jan 12 06:36:35 EST 2008

On 11/01/2008, at 19:16, Patrick Mansfield wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:57:27PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

>>> Are you using mount by label in your /etc/fstab? I also thought the
>>> workaround was to only modify yaboot.conf or boot with
>>> root=/dev/ps3whatever,
>>> but maybe fstab also has to be modified (I'm pretty sure I
>>> modified both
>>> on my system, it's not up right now).
>>
>> That does not solve it either.  The problem is in nash, which does
>> not
>
> So you changed your fstab, and it still failed?

IIRC, yes.  I tried changing both fstab and yaboot.conf, because that
seemed to be the trivial solution, but the combination of the two did
not resolve the problem either.  But oh well, I may perfectly be
misremembering this; it was some months ago already!

>> recognize the ps3's hard disk name, and that happens even before
>> the fstab
>> is read.  I don't know why, though, the original kernel can boot
>> and a
>> modified one cannot.
>
> Yes, but mkinitrd (at least for Fedora) parses /etc/fstab, that is
> how it
> figures out the root fs information including the mount method.

OK, so I may be wrong here.  Anyway, nash should be fixed :-)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>