[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3av.h user space build errors

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Jan 7 20:34:26 EST 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Geoff Levand wrote:
> I noticed we get these when building with ps3av.h from the
> SDK 3.0.
>
>   /opt/cell/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ps3av.h:321: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u16'
>   /opt/cell/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ps3av.h:327: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u16'
>   /opt/cell/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ps3av.h:336: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u32'
>
> ps3-utils (libps3-utils) uses configure to check for a usable
> ps3av.h, then falls back to using its own defines.  It seems
> we either need to make ps3av.h usable, or not included it
> in the system headers and expect users to use ps3-av.h from
> libps3-utils.
>
> ps3-utils is here:
>
>   http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-utils.git

asm/ps3av.h is currently not exported to user space in the mainline
kernel, and has lots of stuff in it that make it unsuitable for
exporting, e.g. extern declarations for kernel internal functions.

I'd have to check how the file got into the sysroot, there is
probably a bug in the sysroot creation script that does not
run 'make headers_install', but it could be some patch that
put this file on the list of exported headers.
Did you have such a patch in any of your ps3-linux releases?

For ps3-utils, the easiest solution should be to always use its
own copy. There is no point to rely on the kernel version when
we have to maintain backwards compatibility with binary copies
of the ps3-utils anyway.

	Arnd <><