[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems getting 1080p in the PS3

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sun Jan 6 04:35:33 EST 2008

On 05/01/2008, at 18:28, Jim Paris wrote:

> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just bought a BenQ FP241WZ flat panel which is capable of 1920x1200
>> and has HDCP.  I have hooked it up to my PS3 through the HDMI
>> connection.  However, when I boot a Linux kernel from the ps3-linux
>> branch, I only get a resolution of 1688x964 that covers the whole
>> screen (minus the black margins due to the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect
>> ratio difference, which is OK), instead of the 1920x1080 I should be
>> getting.
>>
>> If I force the kernel to boot into 1920x1080 by specifying
>> video=ps3fb:mode:170, then the framebuffer image goes off the screen
>> in all of the four borders, as if the screen was only capable of
>> showing 1688x964 pixels...
>
> Hi Julio,
>
> Sounds like overscan.  According to the user manual available at
>
>   http://www.benq.ca/support/downloads/downloads.cfm?
> product=884&page=downloads&dtype=M
>
> there is an monitor option in your "picture advanced" menu to turn
> that off.

Hmm... but why can't the hardware and/or software show the image
correctly?  I can understand the need for overscan in the past, but
with flat panels and digital connections?  And also considering that
the laptop is able to show 1920x1200 without issues...

The thing is, do I have to blame the hardware, or could there be some
possible driver fix for the issue?

Anyway, that manual is from May 2007, and my screen was manufactured
in April.  The manual I have does not show that option, neither does
the monitor.  Ew.  :-(

Thanks for the info, though.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>