[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems getting 1080p in the PS3

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sun Jan 6 01:34:59 EST 2008

Hello,

I just bought a BenQ FP241WZ flat panel which is capable of 1920x1200
and has HDCP.  I have hooked it up to my PS3 through the HDMI
connection.  However, when I boot a Linux kernel from the ps3-linux
branch, I only get a resolution of 1688x964 that covers the whole
screen (minus the black margins due to the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect
ratio difference, which is OK), instead of the 1920x1080 I should be
getting.

If I force the kernel to boot into 1920x1080 by specifying
video=ps3fb:mode:170, then the framebuffer image goes off the screen
in all of the four borders, as if the screen was only capable of
showing 1688x964 pixels...

Any idea about why this is happening?  The screen actually tells me
that it is in 1080p video mode in both cases.  And, FWIW, the laptop
I have hooked to the monitor through the DVI connection properly
works in 1920x1200 mode.

Thank you,

PS: The Game OS seems to shows similar problems, so I *think* this is
not exclusively ps3-linux's fault (or maybe both OSes have a problem,
or maybe it's the firmware who has a problem).  However, I bet
someone here will know where the problem lies exactly, and hence it's
why I'm asking.  Sorry if this is not really suitable to this forum.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>