[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3, Fedora 8 and IBM Cell SDK v3.0

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 06:48:05 EST 2008

Andrea Barbieri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> before venturing down this path (and no search facility for the
> cbe-oss-dev Archives) I would like check if anyone before has attempted
> to install Fedora 8 on a PS3 (40GB-PAL version) and get the IBM Cell SDK
> version 3.0 fully functional.
>
> on the official IBM Cell Broadband Engine Architecture forum this
> thread:
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14012194
> doesn't bring any confidence/official confirmation.
>
> many thanks,
> andrea

It works.  I have it on four PS3's, and QS21's and QS20's.  I have NOT
been able to get F8 to install directly on the PS3.  I did upgrades from
F7.  That was not completely pain free but it took less than an initial
installation by a lot and preserved my /etc content.  I have cross
compiled large applications and even a kernel (the latter with some pain
as some of the stuff in scripts has to be recompiled for the target
before you do any make *install stuff).

Bob

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes