[Cbe-oss-dev] Debian for PS3?

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sat Feb 23 07:19:25 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:18:52AM -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > 	Hi,
> >
> > Although it's been possible to install Debian on PS3 since a long time (cfr.
> > http://www.keshi.org/moin/PS3/Debian/Live, or you could just use plain
> > debootstrap), there's no official support for PS3 in Debian yet.
> >
> > So I downloaded debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso (dated 2008-02-20), booted
> > it using a self-compiled kernel and /install/powerpc/initrd.gz from the ISO
> > image, and installed Debian on the PS3's hard disk without any glitches!
>

> I noticed Olof Johansson is recently working on getting support for his PA Semi
> boards into Debian, so it might be worthwhile to look at his efforts:
>
> For the kernel:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=463200
>
> For the installer:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=464429
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/02/msg00153.html

As already mentioned on the list, there are already equivalent PS3 bugs
open with patches attached.

FWIW, mine haven't been picked up yet either but I'm still waiting
patiently (with an occasional ping). I can't force code onto anyone,
and pushing too hard normally just causes frustration for everyone.

-Olof