[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3: easier to switch between game os and linux

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Fri Feb 1 18:49:35 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 17:00 -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 01/31/2008 11:38 AM, Petr Liebman wrote:
> > I find myself frequently switching between Linux and "Game OS". But
> > one has to wait for the current OS to boot first and then find the
> > option / tool to switch to the other. Ubuntu 2.6.22 also has this
> > inability to reboot without having to go for the power button, which
> > might be fixed in later kernels?
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is any plans to make it possible to choose
> > between GameOS and Linux at boot time?
>
> You can type 'ps3-boot-game-os' at the kboot prompt.  In older
> versions it was called boot-game-os.
>
> Another option is to use petitboot, which has a hot-key to boot
> the Game OS: http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/

You could also add a custom command in your gdm.conf, so you can boot
game os from the GDM login screen.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person