[Cbe-oss-dev] elaboration of Axon driver?

Marcus G. Daniels mdaniels at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 12 09:38:26 EST 2008

Hi,

I've been using the Axon driver on Roadrunner IBM triblades and I'm
wondering if any thought has been given to supporting DAPL?   In
particular, I'm interested in marshaling function calls with complex
types as arguments, perhaps with RDMA/RPC.  Since most of the numerics
work on Roadrunner is done on the SPUs of the Cell processors, and is
very specialized for performance, it's appealing to me keep the Opteron
side of the code relatively abstract.  An Axon implementation of MPI
would be another option, although the use case I have in mind is
factoring monolithic codes to run on multiple tiers of the system, with
MPI on the outside (across the cluster).   Also, simple message passing
can be done reasonably well with DaCS anyway.  I'd like to be able to
break up codes such that some pieces could be RPCed to the PPU of the
Cell.

Wondering if anyone has thought about these issues.

Regards,

Marcus Daniels