[Cbe-oss-dev] patches for oprofile on PS3?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Aug 29 02:31:59 EST 2008

Hi,

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering about the status of oprofile on the PS3.  Are there
> patches in a working state?  It appears there are several related
> patches here..
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git;a=tree;f=ps3-wip;h=2bced31d4401a7390c00a8a07d70d71bb2c4cff7;hb=HEAD
>
> ..but its not immediately obvious to me the relationship and
> dependencies in these patches.

Please look in the series file.  It lists the base sources these
apply against (linux-2.6.git) and the commit revision of that.

> For example, some didn't apply against the cell-2.6 tree.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arnd/cell-2.6.git;a=tree

That is Arnd's tree, I'm not sure what state he has it in, but I try
keep my ps3-linux-patches.git up to date with linux-2.6.git.

> Is there a preferred subset of the patches in the first git tree above
> to use?

To start, I recommend you just use the sources from:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

I haven't tested oprofile in a while, so you need to check if it
still works.

If you need to use cell-2.6.git for some reason, then after that
you need to rebase the relevant ps3 patches to cell-2.6.git.