[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems with ALSA / PulseAudio on PS3

Kevin Gilbert kevin952 at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 28 12:14:23 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to get a JukeBox application working on a PS3 - it's using Qt
Embedded / Phonon / ALSA / PulseAudio and I've have been having problems with
the ALSA / PulseAudio part. I'm posting here because underneath all of that is
the kernel I built from
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git.

Over the past couple of days, the problem has been investigated by the good
folk at PulseAudio (see https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-
discuss/2008-August/002249.html for the gory details). The bottom line with
that investigation is the following:

"Umpf. there seems to be something very broken here in the audio driver or
alsa-libs. We only support interleaved channels. This assert above is always
true for interleaved channels. We ask the ALSA driver for interleaved
channels. But apparently it gave us some more complex channel arrangement.
Please report to the ALSA people."

Before I report this to the ALSA crowd, is there anything in the PS3 kernel
that could affect the ALSA implementation? IE, would I be wasting their time
by reporting this problem to them?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin