[Cbe-oss-dev] Kernel Build Help

Jiafu Gao jiafu_gao at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:11:49 EST 2008

Thanks, Nelson. Yes, I believe Ubuntu has userland 32 bits and kernel 64 bits.

Do you mean literally (without change, including the ?= ) add this to the beginning of Makefile:
 CROSS_COMPILE   ?= powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-

I did that, and get a tons of errors like the following:
ps3-linux/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: powerown-linux-gnu-gcc: command not found

I do have ppu-gcc installed. So I tried add the following:
  CROSS_COMPILE = ppu-
and I got the same error as my first email.

OK, I downloaded (use git clone) the 2.6.26.rc2  directly from linux kernel org and compiled it successfully.

Now I have questions on the installation. I know that I can do make install or/and make module_install. However, I checked the Makefile, this will install lots of files on the system in different directories. If it does not work out, how do I roll back the OS to my current working status?

If there is no safe/easier way, I'd rather manually manage the install procedure. So I know exactly what I did, and therefore know how to rollback all the changes to the current status.

Can I simply do this:copy the 2 files: vmlinux and initrd.img to /boot  (with proper name so it does not overwrite my current files), and add a new line in the kboot.conf:
   testkernel='/boot/vmlinux.test initrd=/boot/initrd.img.test
video=ps3fb:mode:133'

If the answer is Yes, where is the initrd.img file? (I can see the vmlinux in the build root directoy.

Best regards,

Jiafu