[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH 0/2] powerpc/spufs: allow access to scheduled-out NOSCHED contexts

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Fri Aug 1 14:40:22 EST 2008

Currently, we have no way of accessing the "regs" file of SPE contexts
created with the SPU_CREATE_NOSCHED flag. This means that libSPE can't
set up the initial register set.

However, not all access to the register file of a NOSCHED context are
invalid - the context may already be saved, or we may not currently
be running the context (in which case, it'll be OK to save to the CSA).

The following patches allow access to the regs file (as well as other
files previously restricted to schedulable contexts), by enabling us
to call spu_acquire_saved on NOSCHED contexts. If a NOSCHED context
would be descheduled due to this call, it will return with -EBUSY.

RFC: is the -EBUSY semantic acceptable, or should the access block
instead?

Cheers,

Jeremy

---
Jeremy Kerr (2):
      powerpc/spufs: allow spu_acquire_saved to correctly handle NOSCHED contexts
      powerpc/spufs: consolidate contexts of normal and NOSCHED context directories