[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 harddisk access problem

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Mon Oct 15 19:13:47 EST 2007

	Hi James,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, James Jacobsson wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2007, at 12:29 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, James Jacobsson wrote:
> >> On Oct 12, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > What's the return value of lv1_open_device()?
> > Note that the order of storage device may be different after each
> > reboot.
>
> The return-value of lv1_open_device() is -6 (LV1_NO_ENTRY).

So there's no such device (yet, see below).

> I actually presumed that the order of the storage-devices could be
> different on other models of the PS3, but not on the same unit.  No
> matter though. I iterate the buses on boot, as well as print them to
> the bootup log, so I'm keeping an eye on them.

> >> 0xfffffffffffffff5
> >
> > That doesn't look like a valid region ID. So far they always seemed
> > to match
> > the region index (i.e. numbered from 0 on).
>
> Ah, it would seem that I mis-read your question.
> Since the hdd reports its "n_regs" key as 0, I used 0 as the region
> in the lv1_storage_read() call.

If n_regs is 0, the hypervisor hasn't probed the regions yet.
Linux has a fix for this (commit d51dd3de87026cb0ea1ea5f873f08e930053bfc5),
but it doesn't look like it's the ideal solution. I'm working on it.

For now, the simplest solution for you is to busy wait until the repository
reports that n_regs is no longer zero.  After that, you should be able to open
the device.

Good luck! If you have more questions, you know where to find me...
(yes, I do like the idea of running AROS on PS3!)

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619