[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 harddisk access problem

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Sat Oct 13 04:17:06 EST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, James Jacobsson wrote:
> Long time lurker, first time poster here.
> I'm experimenting with trying to port AROS to the PS3 platform, and
> so-far things have gone pretty smoothly, but I am running into a
> problem with accessing the hard-disk.
> As the documentation for the hypervisor interface is sparse at best,
> and the existing Linux source-code for this is quite heavily
> intermixed with the SCSI and ATA subsystems, I have some problems
> with deducing what needs to be set up for this to happen.
>
> I've iterated through the busses, and found the hard-disk at bus #4,
> device #2. When querying the device for the key "id", it also returns
> 2, so I'm pretty sure I'm bang on when it comes to this part.
>
> Now, here comes the problems.
> I tried doing the following immediately after the bus-iteration:
> 	r = lv1_storage_read( 2, // DevID
> 			      reg, // RegID
> 			      0, // Start sector
> 			      1, // Num sector(s)
> 			      0, // Flags
> 			      r_buff, // Buffer
> 			      &tag);
> But it returns non-zero, so something apparently needs to be done
> before I can read a sector.

What's the return value?

> Doing the following works though:
> r = lv1_storage_send_device_command(2, // Device ID
> 					  0x23, // LV1_STORAGE_ATA_HDDOUT
> 					  0,0,0,0,
> 					  &tag);
>
> So at least something is working.
>
> I've also tried doing:
> r = lv1_open_device(4,2,0);
> on the device before doing the lv1_storage_read() call, but the
> open_device call fails as well.

You don't call lv1_open_device() before lv1_storage_send_device_command()?

> It's probably something trivial that I'm missing here, but I just
> can't seem to find what it is.

What's the value of reg in the lv1_storage_read() call?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619