[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3fb.c changes and black borders

Grant Ferley gfconsulting at mts.net
Sat Nov 24 04:47:58 EST 2007

> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:04:17 +0100
> From: Goffredo Marocchi <panajev at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Cbe-oss-dev] ps3fb.c changes and black borders
> To: cbe-oss-dev at ozlabs.org

*snip*

> http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43859
>
> Modifying both tables appropriately a user could minimize those black
> borders.
>
> Am I right saying that with the new ps3fb.c file we won't be able to
> pull that "hack" any longer ?
>
> Will there be a different/better way to achieve our goal of minimal and
> not over conservative black borders ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Goffredo Marocchi

I used to modify those tables in ps3fb.c in old kernels, but now I use
fbset.  The way I use fbset (though Geert or someone else could explain the
tool better) is to go into a fullscreen mode and set the appropriate xres,
yres, vxres and vyres, reducing by a value of 4 until I have the correct
values for x and y.

For example, on my Sharp LCD in 1080p full, you start with the standard
1920x1080 dimensions which are oversized.  I change both actual and virtual
dimension (i.e. xres and vxres), reducing by multiples of 4 until the screen
is correct.  While yours would differ, I currently use:
	fbset -xres 1820 -vxres 1820 -yres 1036 -vyres 1036

Check out the fbset man page for info on how you use it, as well as setting
other things like margins and sync length.

I'd love to hear from the group if I'm using the tool appropriately, and if
there is some way (other than scripting) to set these values automatically,
say in kboot.conf.  Also, 720p in Linux doesn't seem to display on my TV
(fine in game-os).  Anyone have hints as to what I might look at changing?
Sorry if that's too off-topic for this list, ignore my questions if you
believe so.

Grant Ferley