[Cbe-oss-dev] spu_create.2 man page

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Thu Nov 22 09:13:06 EST 2007

Michael,

> Could you explain to me in a sentence or three what a "gang" is?  I
> might add a few further words to the page about this term.

A gang is a set of contexts that should be considered as one unit to the
scheduler - they should be scheduled in and out as one entity (ie, all
are scheduled, or none are).

> Does that mean:
>
>    "Isolated contexts are prevented from performing from
>     some PPE operations,"
> ?

Nope, isolated contexts are protected from the rest of the system - for
example, the SPE's local memory cannot be accessed by anything outside
the SPE. There is no restriction on what the SPE can do.

> Also, what does PPE stand for?  Is it worth mentioning this in the
> page?

PPE = PowerPC Processing Element, the general-purpose processor present
on the Cell/B.E. architecture.

I think that anyone who's reading the spufs manpages will already be
familiar with the terms PPE and SPE, but it can't hurt to clarify
these, right? :)

> Naive typographical question: should "npc register" be "NPC
> register"?

Yep. The names of the files are all lower-case, but the register is
called the NPC.

> The page contains the text:
>
>     "Using this flag requires that the other SPU context
>      be passed in the"
>
> Should this be:
>
>     "Using this flag requires that a file descriptor referring to
>      the other SPU context be passed in the"

Yep!

Thanks for the review,

Jeremy