[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC/PATCH 2/2] spufs: Add a "capabilities" file to spu contexts

Mike Kistler mkistler at us.ibm.com
Wed May 30 11:51:17 EST 2007

Uli,

I added support for single stepping a few months ago ... as soon as I
learned you might be interested in using this feature.  I should be
available in the SDK 2.1 version of the sim.  However, I don't think there
is an easy check to determine if the support is there or not.  If this is
important, I could probably figure out something (like a version number
check or something).

Regards,
Mike

Ulrich Weigand/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
05/29/2007 09:01 AM

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>, Mike Kistler/Austin/IBM
cc
abergman at linux.vnet.ibm.com, cbe-oss-dev at ozlabs.org
Subject
Re: [Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC/PATCH 2/2] spufs: Add a "capabilities" file      to
spu     contexts

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 13:11 +0200, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> > I understand that when running under the simulator, single-stepping
> > is not supported.  Should you not also check for this, and not report
> > the step capability in that case?
>
> Sure, I didn't know about that "feature" of the sim. Any chance you can
> test if it works properly btw ?

Mike, you mentioned that the simulator may not support the SPE single-step
feature.  Is that true for any version of the simulator?  Is there
something that would allow to test for whether the feature is supported?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  GNU compiler/toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE