[Cbe-oss-dev] Call/return from PPE to SPE functions

Brian Watt bwatt at us.ibm.com
Tue May 29 12:33:15 EST 2007

Group,

I am interested in having any PPE function call any number of SPE functions
(which are not main functions) and each return back their results. For
example, I want a PPE foo function to call a SPE bar1 function passing it
several arguments using standard ABI linkage conventions, and returning
bar's results back to foo. Then to call foo2 and foo3, etc. on the SPE.
Currently LIBSPE2 allows SPE_RUN_USER_REGS to be passed on spe_context_run
but it sets a fixed and limited number of SPE registers (3 through 5).
However, this can be only done when the entry point is equal to
spe->base_private->entry, and not just any LS address. What I need is any
entry address to be specified. In addition I need to allow setting a
variable number of SPE registers (from 3 up to 75), and then upon
completion it needs to return an updated register 3. What does the mailing
list think about such a capability and the modifications required in
LIBSPE2 to accomplish this?

Brian Watt, Cell Software Development, Quasar Design Center
(512)823-6013, TL793-6013; FAX: Unknown
IBM Corporation, Div/7T, D/FSOA, B/906-5G015, M/S 906-5G015, 11501 Burnet
Rd, Austin, TX 78758
Notes: Brian Watt/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, Internet: bwatt at us.ibm.com