[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC] Cell: shutdown method for spu_sysdev_class

Luke Browning lukebr at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 7 12:27:26 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:20 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> Nothing gets called in the kdump case, the kernel is panicked.
>
> For kexec it makes sense to do any cleanup you can, but for kdump you
> need to expect that the previous kernel has left everything screwed up.
>
> One thing we should consider for kdump is stopping execution of the
> spus. Although it increases the amount of code we're executing in the
> panicked kernel, I think it might still be a good idea. We'd want to use
> a special shutdown routine which walks as few data structures as
> possible.
>
> cheers

Hi Mike,

I got a little confused with your use of kexec and kdump, but I believe
we are on the same page.

Lucio is adding logic to stop the spus in the exception path.  This is
part of the default kernel which is compiled with kexec.  During the
processing of the exception, the previously loaded kdump kernel is
invoked.  It boots, the system dump file is saved, and the the kdump
capture kernel is shutdown so that the default kernel is rebooted.

We expect the new shutdown routines to be invoked in the kdump kernel,
but not the kexec kernel, at least not in the case of system crash.

My question for Mike, Prasad, or Vivek is:

When the default kernel is rebooted, how is the kexec -p command run
again.  Seems odd to expect the user to do it.  Is there some kind of
init / rc script that performs this operation each boot?

Luke