[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3 linux kernel & wifi

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Mon May 7 03:50:14 EST 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sunday 06 May 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > At the boot time the system hang looking for root device , and after a while
> > > i figured out that device name changed and all i need to do is to replace in
> > > kboot.conf    sda1 with ps3da1 and so on .. I  wonder if this is normal or
> > > did i miss something ?
> >
> > Indeed. The old storage driver used the SCSI framework, while the new one (at
> > least the disk part) uses the block layer directly. Hence the new device names
> > `ps3d' instead of `sd'.
>
> Is there any reason why you chose the notation with drive letters (ps3da, ps3da1)
> instead of numbers (ps3d0, ps3d0p0)? My impression was that the latter is preferred
> for new drivers, but I could be missing something.

No specific reason, I think I just followed the examples.
If the other names are preferred, I can use them, of course.
I plan to mail the pathes for review once all 3 storage drivers are finished
and the common code has been consolidated.

BTW, how do you control the names of the partitions?
For the disks, I use:

        snprintf(gendisk->disk_name, sizeof(gendisk->disk_name), PS3DISK_NAME,
		 devidx+'a');

but if I'm not mistaken it's the partition code that creates the names of the
partitions by appending numbers (not `p' + a number)?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1