[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 ALSA Sound Driver snd_ps3pf - Support for AC3/DTS Passthrough

Marc Bevand m.bevand at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:18:07 EST 2007

The latest public version of the snd_ps3pf ALSA sound driver for
playstation 3 can be found in the kernel source tree linux-20061208
published at [1] (derived from 2.6.16 as I understand it). Geoff Levand
has not yet integrated the driver into his git tree on kernel.org.

According to the very limited public documentation about the sound
chip available at [2], it looks like it probably support AC3/DTS
passthrough however [1] does not support this feature. I have
looked at the source code and am not very familiar with the ALSA API
but it seems that adding support for this feature would just require
the implementation of a new snd_kcontrol_new named "IEC958
Playback Default" whose purpose would be to set some control bits
in the frames sent over the S/PDIF output. This is probably only
100-200 lines of code.

Is there anyone here that would know if snd_ps3pf will support
AC3/DTS passthrough some day ?

[1]
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-linux-distro-kit-20061208/src
[2] ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-linux-distro-kit-20061208/doc/LinuxKernelOverview.html

--
Marc Bevand