[Cbe-oss-dev] Should rndcntl_stop disappear?

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sun Mar 18 09:42:22 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm currently playing with both the ps3-linux and systemsim branches
available at git.kernel.org:

     linux/kernel/git/ericvh/systemsim.git
     linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

When applying some custom patches to both branches, I hit an
inconsistence with respect to the rndcntl_stop function, available in
the ps3-linux branch but unavailable in the systemsim one.

This function is defined in spufs.h, struct spu_context_ops.  After
some inspection, I found that this has been in the code since the
beginning, and was latter removed in commit
b9e3bd774bb1a90fee9b90f461a51e4ba295fe6d, available in both
branches.  However, it was reintroduced in commit
f071f0230b4e5c062ed3899adacf2f00fc1a67e2, only found in the ps3-linux
branch.

So I'm wondering... should rndcntl_stop be really available in struct
spu_context_ops?  Or should it die again in favour of rndcntl_write
(which is what all callers do)?  I'll happily provide a trivial patch
for this if it is desired.

Thank you.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84 at gmail.com>