[Cbe-oss-dev] Fwd: Problems building the ps3-linux branch

Aegis Lin aegislin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 03:12:40 EST 2007

On 3/16/07, Geoff Levand <geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com> wrote:

> > jmerino='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux-jmerino initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd-
> > jmerino.img root=/dev/sda2 init=/sbin/init 3'
> >
> > Then, the kernel starts up but when it is time to exec init, it says:
> >
> > Warning: Unable to open an initial console.
>

> This is because YDL is setup for the 2.6.16 legacy kernel.
>
> In my testing I found that it is because for some reason (not dig yet) the
current git kernel
(2.6.21-rc1) for PS3 won't take command lines from kboot, so initrd will
never have a chance
to be loaded. I've verified this on FC5 and YDL5, for kboot (otheros.bld)
provided by both
Sony and YDL.

If the default kernel config is used, the kernel will be compiled with a
default command
line which only assigns "root" and "videomode". FC5 can still be booted
normally because
(root):/dev (the real directory, not the mounted tmpfs one) really contains
the dev nodes
needed during boot, while for YDL5, /dev is in fact empty. After booting,
anyway udev will
take control...

--
<i>Yet another coder currently roaming in Japan...</i>
Yu-Te Aegis Lin, aka AirL