[Cbe-oss-dev] (no subject)

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jun 21 02:32:22 EST 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Clint Thomas wrote:
> When I cat /proc/meminfo this approximately correct for any distro I've
> used so far.
>
> MemTotal: 201296 kB
> MemFree:  127880 kB
>
> Thanks for clearing that up. Now a better question might be, can I just
> rebuild the kernel to not include the ps3fb in order to free that unused
> video memory? It looks like that would put me right around where your
> MemTotal is sitting, so I am guessing you might have done this yourself?

Yes, you can exclude ps3fb.

Alternatively, you can control the amount of memory reserved for the frame
buffer, at compile time or at boot time:

| config FB_PS3_DEFAULT_SIZE_M
|         int "PS3 default frame buffer size (in MiB)"
|         depends on FB_PS3
|         default 18
|         ---help---
|           This is the default size (in MiB) of the virtual frame buffer in
|           the PS3.
|           The default value can be overridden on the kernel command line
|           using the "ps3fb" option (e.g. "ps3fb=9M");

Depending on the video mode you want to use, you can lower this value
considerably.  If you say `ps3fb=0', ps3fb will be disabled.

Hmm, probably we should lower the default to 9 MiB, as nobody (apart from the
sample code) uses the double buffering feature.

> Also, besides what resides in the kernel as far as the PS3 Linux goes,
> is there anything out in the root file system other than libraries that
> are absolutely required for Linux to work on the ps3? I am trying to
> make a near-embedded level file system for mine, so I want to determine
> everything that is required, and remove all that is not. Thanks!

You need just the standard stuff that's needed on any Linux system.
But if you want to reboot into GameOS, you need boot-game-os from ps3-utils.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619