[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC 4/5] spufs: add kernel support for spu task

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jun 13 19:28:19 EST 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Also, I'm a little confused about the queue API - the user queues a
> kspu_work_item with this function, and it later gets an 'enqueue'
> callback, where it may put an entry on the ringbuffer, right?

Right. The kspu_work_item work a little bit like a struct work, the
->enqueue callback is called from process context, so it's possible to
sleep, e.g. for a kmalloc or mutex_lock, whereas the work item itself
can be queued at interrupt time. Instead of using a separate workqueue,
the single main loop of the kspu thread avoids most of the PPE context
switches.

	Arnd <><