[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC 0/5] Support for executing code on the SPU by the kernel

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Wed Jun 13 14:38:47 EST 2007

Hi Sebastian,

This looks like a great first run at kernel SPU contexts, I'm really
glad someone has taken the plunge and implemented this.

I'll put specific comments inline, but here's some general stuff:

* It would be great to see a bit of info in Documentation/ about this
(Documentation/kspu.txt ?), and a skeleton kspu application would be
great too. This should provide a framework for other users of the kspu
API, and any tricks we need to do for Makefiles, etc. It's good to have
the AES example, but that includes a lot of stuff not related to the
API. I'm happy to help out with either (or both) of these.

* I'm not too keen on the hardcoded array of spu code (SPU_FUNCTIONS).
But it seems that the alternatives are all pretty tricky. Maybe we can
have some discussion about this as a later enhancement.

* Keep an eye on your naming conventions: some exported functions have
been called kspu_*, some spufs_*, and some with no particular prefix.
I'd suggest that these external functions should all be prefixed with
kspu_.

Cheers,

Jeremy