[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 lv1 calls under a BSD-style license

Daniel Collin daniel at collin.com
Sun Jul 29 09:02:46 EST 2007

Hi,

Me and some fellow programmers are working on making a small
"bootloader" for the PS3.
It will run as an "OtherOS" like Linux does but will boot much faster
and the way you will program it is to compile on PC,
upload elf (over network for example) and execute it (debugging is also
planned).

All the code is written from scratch and will be released under BSD (or
very close to) license meaning that people can use the code and release
binaries without also releasing the source.

One thing we haven't rewritten is the lv1 calls used in the linux kernel
(the files are: ps3-hvcall.S, hvcall.S and lv1call.h)

The problem is that these files are licensed under the GPL license which
is incompatible with BSD.
We are now wondering if it would be possible to relicense those files
under BSD compatible license or will we need to reimplement them as well?

Thanks.

Daniel