[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 improved video mode autodetection for HDMI/DVI

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jul 12 18:40:47 EST 2007

	Hi,

As of 8d28c70b27cb70cf01d21aab8e51a6dc43c10d70, Geoff's git tree[*] has
improved support for video mode autodetection on both HDMI and DVI-D(+HDCP)
monitors. By default the kernel will select the `best' videomode for your
monitor, now also including VESA modes (e.g. 1920x1200). You can still override
it with the traditional `video=' kernel command line option.

If you're using a PS3 with a HDMI or DVI-D(+HDCP) monitor, please give it a
try.

If it fails, please add `#define DEBUG' to drivers/ps3/ps3av.c, send me the
`Monitor Info' output in the kernel log (dmesg), and tell me which of the
PS3 video modes (1-13) work and which don't. ps3av has a quirk database for
monitors that advertise non-working modes, so it can probably be fixed.
(BTW, even if autodetect works fine, I always welcome this information)

In case you have a big pile of monitors at your site, you don't have to reboot
to try them all. Just plug in the new monitor and run `ps3videomode -v 0' to
switch to the best resolution of the newly-connected monitor.

Thanks for your feedback!

[*] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git/

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619