[Cbe-oss-dev] kernel-2.6.20-rc6 on PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Jan 26 10:40:31 EST 2007

edo at onkeh.net wrote:
> Greetings all, I have been reading this mailing list with great interest
> since I have been somewhat disappointed with the lack of Linux/PS3
> discussion on the rest of the net.  I'm not sure if this question is
> better suited to here or linuxppc64-dev, but here goes:
>
> Today I decided to try and get new 2.6.20-rc6 release to run on my PS3
> through Fedora.  I configured in all the PS3 specific options and it
> compiled fine (although I had to disable all the Cell BBE options to get
> it to work).  The only problem is that kboot just crashes when it tries to
> boot it (the same thing happened when I tried the stock ppc64 2.6.19
> kernel). So I guess the problem is either:
>
> Kboot is unable to boot it for whatever reason
>
> OR
>
> I'm missing some config option that will make it work.
>
> As I understand it, the 2.6.20 includes PS3 support as standard (comfirmed
> by the PS3 options in menuconfig), so why doesn't it work?  Any advice you
> could give me would be greatly appreciated, sorry if this question is a
> bit too basic for you guys!

The PS3 support in the plain vanilla 2.6.20-rc6 kernel is not complete.  There
are no device drivers for example.  I recommend you try rebuilding the stable
2.6.16 kernel that you installed with FC first, then maybe try the experimental
kernel.  The stable sources are here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-linux-distro-kit-20061208/src/linux-20061208.tar.bz2