[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Linux boot loader discussions

Hiroyuki Machida Hiroyuki.Mach at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:41:31 EST 2007

2007/1/16, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>:

> > From the Linux Live DVD/Install DVD developer's view, it's better to
> > have a single common format, independent from back ends.
> > If we have various config formats, Linux Live DVD/Install DVD need to
> > have all corresponding config files on one DVD.
> >
> > Is there any objection? If anyone doesn't have. We'll  move to discuss
> > what is desirable for "common" config file, such as, "kboot.conf is a
> > good for common coifig file?/Grub config is better?".
>
> Well, the idea is to have a "primary" format (native) which will
> probably be something based on grub to make things easy for distros. The
> ability to parse the other formats is mostly to be compatible with
> existing stuff (like YDL 5, gentoo livecd, ...)
>
> LiveCD/DVDs don't need to install all the corresponding files at all,
> they need only one, the idea is more like the bootloader can handle
> several so it's backward compatible with things using kboot.conf.
 :
 :
> > From the Linux Live DVD/Install DVD developer's view, it's better to have
> > common minimal environments. For instance, suppose that someone makes
> > Live Linux on USB flash, the developer expect to boot loader has capable
> > to boot it.
>
> Well, as I said. The bootloader will support pretty much everything you
> can throw at it, though we will probably define the "preferred method".

I'd like to focus on minimum requirements to support bootable removable media.
I summarised as follows. Is there any objections?

- Reuirement for boot loaders
Every boot loader have to have capable to kick defaut labeled kernel from
removable media which has /etc/kboot.conf. Bootloader may ignore
other entries in /etc/kboot.conf

Every boot loader have to capable to support following removable media.
 - ISO 9660
 - FAT
from bulitin CD/DVD/BD drive and  USB storage, at least.
Boot loaders may have capability to support other media/format.

- Requirement for bootable media
Removable meida which want to boot, must have minimum
  /etc/kboot.conf.
The media may have other boot config files, if it wants to use
human readable comments and other addtional attributes.

Chaers,
Hiroyuki