[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Linux boot loader discussions

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Jan 11 06:40:22 EST 2007

Hiroyuki Machida wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on PS3/Cell Linux Project in Sony/SCEI. I'd like to
> open up discussions about expected behaviors of PS3 Boot Loader.
> I hope we'll have consensus to same sort of standards or conventions,
> so that Linux Distribution Installer CD/DVDs keep work well and
> avoid users confuse.
>
> Please take a look attached material and give your feedbacks.

Something related to the bootloader but not mentioned in your
message is the layout of the other os data area in flash memory.

I plan to have a standardized layout for this area so it can be
shared between bootloaders and the kernel.  This area can be
used by a bootloader to store a small amount of volatile data,
which could be of benefit for read only (Live CD) based distros.
I had some discussion of the layout with Ben and Arnd, but I did
not make a final decision yet.  Currently, only the RTC offset is
stored there.