[Cbe-oss-dev] how to rebuild ps3 kernel

Bill Hoover hoover at deadmoose.com
Sat Jan 6 11:08:20 EST 2007

There are two features I need that are not enabled by default in the ps3
kernel.  Specifically CONFIG_TUN=m (so that I can use vpnc), and
CONFIG_HUGETLBFS=y and CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y (so that I can try the huge
pages, as used in some of the cellsdk examples).

I rebuilt the kernel after making these changes to the config, and the
TUN one worked as it just created a new module which the old kernel
could use.  The question is how to replace the kernel itself.  When I
moved vmlinux over as /boot/vmlinux-2.6.16 and tried to boot it, right
after it starts loading the usb-storage.ko module I get complaints about
unknown symbols for scsi_scan_host and several other scsi things.  Then
insmod says it had an error, it continues for a little then hangs
and everything works.

This is on an FC5-based install.  gcc is 4.1.0-3.  I started from
linux-20061110, changed the config file, said make, then copied the
vmlinux.  Does something else need to be done?  I couldn't find any
other instructions.  (It might also be nice to have these options on by
default, but that is a different issue).

Thanks...Bill