[Cbe-oss-dev] Mini Req to PS3 Linux boot loader (Re: PS3 Linux boot loader discussions)

Hiroyuki Machida Hiroyuki.Mach at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 12:03:51 EST 2007

Fuse-san,

Thank you for correction and comment.

2007/2/9, Hiroaki Fuse <Hiroaki_Fuse at hq.scei.sony.co.jp>:

> I have some comments.
>
>  > = Minimum requiremnts to boot loader for supporting removable boot
>  > media =
>  >
>  > == Background ==
>  >
>  > This document describes minimum requirements to boot loader for
>  > PS3 Linux envrionment, so that system is able to boot from removable
>  > media/devices.
>  >
>  > This document does NOT intend to describe requirements, so that
>  > system is able to boot from internal HDD. It's up to the boot
>  > loader's implementation, if it requires /etc/kboot.conf and/or
>  > how the boot loader interprets it.
>  > Because the contents of HDD could be changed later, to follow
>  > newer bootloader configuration file.
>  >
>  > On the other hand, boot configuration file on removable boot
>  > media like Live CD could be changed, once released.
>                               ------
>                               could not be ??

You're right.

>  > So we need minimum specification of the boot loader, so that
>  > any released removable boot media stay to be bootable.
>

>  >
>  > === Minimum /etc/kboot.conf ===
>  >
>  > Bootloader needs to understand following minimum kboot.conf format.
>  >
>  > timeout=[num]
>  > initrd=[path1]
>  > root=[rootname]
>  > default=[label]
>  > [label]=[path2]  [kernel-params]
>  >
>  > - [num] is digit number; which describes value of boot
>  > selection time out. It's just used as hint. Boot loader
>  > ignore this value.
>  > - [label] is a label for boot entry.
>  > There's no alternative entry, we can omit "label" line like;
>  > default=[path2] [kernel-params]
>
> I think that default must be a label.
> When we insert multiple boot media, we have to select one of them.

>From the point of view of  the minimum specification,
[label] looks not to be mandatory. On the other hand,
I agree that [label] would help implmentation.

As you mention, in case of [label], it's expected to be uniq.
Do you have any idea on max length of [label]  and limitation
on  chars in [label], like "must be starting with alpahbet".

> So we need a uniq label name.
>
> E.g
>
>         USB memory1
>                 timeout=10
>                 default=ps3linux12
>                 ps3linux12="....."
>
>         USB memory2
>                 timeout=10
>                 default=ps3linux13
>                 ps3linux13="....."
>
>         kboot:[TAB]
>         ps3linux12 ps3linux13
>

>  > - [path1] is a abosolute path name of initrd; which boot loader
>  > would look. That meanes the pathname has to begin with "/".
>  > And it's the 1st "/" stands for root dir of the file system which
>  > boot loader mount on seeking the boot loader configuration file.
>  > - [path2] is a abosolute path name of kernel; which boot loader
>  > would look, as same as [path1].
>  > - [rootname] is a name of root; which  bootloader would
>  > just pass to kernel.
>  > - [kernel-params] is a set of kernel parameters; which bootloader would
>  > just pass to kernel.

Regards,
Hiroyuki