[Cbe-oss-dev] kernel-2.6.20-rc6 on PS3

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Tue Feb 6 00:37:07 EST 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 edo at onkeh.net wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I re-compiled the stable kernel you provided and it
> worked no problems.  I decided to wait until 2.6.20 went stable before
> trying to advance any further, hence the lateness of this reply.  Anyway,
> it went stable yesterday so I thought I'd pick up where I left off.
>
> You mentioned that 2.6.20 had no PS3 device drivers, would it be possible
> for me to take the .16 drivers and merge them with the .20 stable to get a
> working kernel?  Is there anything else I should know about to get things
> working?  It seems whenever I try to boot any kernel other than the .16
> then  I get a hard-crash at kboot, which is a pretty difficult problem to
> diagnose :(!  Any pointers would be much appreciated.

The current PS3 tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

Quilt archive for the current PS3 tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git

> > The PS3 support in the plain vanilla 2.6.20-rc6 kernel is not complete.
> > There
> > are no device drivers for example.  I recommend you try rebuilding the
> > stable
> > 2.6.16 kernel that you installed with FC first, then maybe try the
> > experimental
> > kernel.  The stable sources are here:
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-linux-distro-kit-20061208/src/linux-20061208.tar.bz2

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1