[Cbe-oss-dev] Support for embedded SPU ELF in dynamic libs

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 4 07:20:10 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>On Friday 02 February 2007 21:44, Brian Watt wrote:
>

>>Case 2: Naturally this is entirely different from having a PPU executable
>>which links with with PPU shared object libraries (.so files) which are
>>dynamically loaded either at load time or run time. Now within these PPU
>>shared object libraries there maybe SPU executables embedded. We did not
>>discuss this, and maybe that is what Arnd is talking about.
>>

>Yes, this is what I meant. Shared libraries on the SPU are not possible
>(dynamic libraries would be, but we don't do that yet). Embedding an SPU
>binary into a shared library is a natural way to implement SPU support
>in a generic way, as Uli pointed out already.

Obviously, I had never even considered this scenario before, and none of
the samples and testcases we've used during development have employed
such a model.  Unfortunately, this model does not fit well with the
standard OProfile model of one application binary and, possibly, one
other binary image (i.e., shared library) from which the samples were
actually taken.  It's a fairly minor issue to add the extra information
into the kernel event buffer; but I suspect that adding a third column
to the final profile report will be a much greater challenge.  I propose
that we move this patch forward without this support, but continue to
work on fixing this deficiency.

-Maynard